Customer Service Plan – Accessibility for Persons with Disabilities
Geofirma Engineering Ltd. is a consulting company specializing in geoscience, modelling and environmental engineering that is committed to excellence in servicing all customers including people with disabilities. We treat all people with respect and are committed to the principles of independence, dignity, integration and equal opportunity. Our clients come first.
Summary of the Standard
Standard Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 (AODA) was established to improve customer service for people with disabilities. AODA was passed with the goal of creating standards to improve accessibility across the province.
Requirements of the Standard
- Establish a plan on providing services to people with disabilities;
- Ensure that the plan is consistent with the core principles of independence, dignity, integration and equality of opportunity;
- Set a policy for people to use their own personal assistive devices;
- Ensure that communication with a person with a disability is addressed;
- Allow the requirement for a service animal;
- Permit people with a disability to be accompanied by a support person and address if there is a fee or not associated with the support person;
- Provide notice when our service or facility is temporarily disrupted;
- Provide training on how to serve and interact with people with disabilities and train staff who are involved with developing the plan; and
- Establish a process for people with disabilities to provide feedback.
Providing Services to People with Disabilities
Geofirma will ensure that all staff are trained and familiar with various assistive devices that may be used by customers with disabilities while accessing our services.
Geofirma will communicate with people with disabilities in ways that take into account their disability. Training will be provided to staff who communicates with people with various types of disabilities. Upon request, we will provide accessible documents to our customers by email, large print, or hard copy.
Geofirma will provide accessible telephone services to our customers and offer to communicate with people by email, in writing, or in person if telephone communication is not suitable to their communication needs or is not available. We will train staff to communicate over the telephone by speaking clearly and slowly and in plain language.
Geofirma welcomes people with disabilities and their service animals. Service animals are allowed on the parts of our premises that are open to the public.
A person with a disability who is accompanied by a support person will be allowed to have that person accompany them on our premises. There are no fees charged for any persons to enter our premises.
Notice of Temporary Disruption
In the event of a planned or unexpected disruption to services or facility, customers will be notified promptly. This clearly posted notice will include information about the reason for the disruption, and its anticipated length of time. The notice will be placed on our website, or at our office building at all public entrances.
Training for Staff
Geofirma will provide training to employees, and volunteers on providing customer service to people with disabilities. Training will include:
- An overview of the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the requirements of the customer service standard;
- Geofirma staff will undergo training of our Accessible Customer Service Plan. Staff will be notified if changes are made to our plan and additional training will be provided, if required;
- How to interact and communicate with people with various types of disabilities;
- How to interact with people with disabilities who use an assistive device or require the assistance of a service animal or support person; and
- What to do if a person with a disability is having difficulty accessing Geofirma’s services.
Training will be provided to new staff during our new hire orientation.
Any policy of Geofirma that does not respect and promote the dignity and independence of people with disabilities will be modified or removed.
Customers who wish to provide feedback on the way Geofirma provides services to people with disabilities can contact us by telephone, or by mail.
All feedback, including complaints will be directed and tracked by our Quality Manager. Customers can expect to hear back from us no later than 30 days of receiving the feedback. Any comments that are provided to us will be kept strictly confidential, unless agreed to by the individual.